Your Daily Bowel Prep

GoLytely for your head...

Sunday, June 21, 2009

"Public Service" Announcement for the Day: Finger in the Bottom

I went to a street fair today in my neighborhood, and saw booths for organ donation, and prostate cancer research. I was very happy to see both. Several black women worked the organ donation booth and I had a nice chat with them. However, the prostate cancer booth was being avoided by black men like it was the entrance to Hell.

Black men in America have the highest incidence of prostate cancer in the world at 180.6 per 100,000 population (read all about it in an article I found on Medscape dealing with cultural barriers black men face about their own health care, here). The article states that during a 4 year period in the late 90's the death rate for black men was 73.0 per 100,000, which was double the death rate for Hispanic men. It's unknown why black men have higher rates of prostate cancer (there are some hypotheses, but I won't address these in this post), but it's thought that the death rate is associated with late detection.

The American Cancer Society recommends screening for prostate cancer starting at 50 years-old, or earlier if you are of African descent or have a family history of disease. Click on the title for more information from a site with good information.

3 Comments:

Blogger Edward J. Taylor said...

"We give Dirty Larry -- the finger."

23 June, 2009 05:23  
Blogger Big Man said...

DMG

As I said over at DV's spot. Y'all need to come up with a better option.
I'm sure I'll do it, cause it's important, but I think it's ridiculous that the only way to check my prostate is to have a finger up my butt.

25 June, 2009 12:16  
Blogger DMG said...

Big Man,

Nice to see you drop by (apologies if I get a little hostile over on DV's spot).

Trust me. The thought of sticking my finger in some sweaty man's ass, is not a picnic for me either. The test allows me to get information that might suggest a cancerous or benign prostate. I'm glad you grit your teeth, and follow through. It's just a moment of discomfort.

TZT!,

What's up. I'm blogging a bit again. But I'm in cognito, so no first names. Are you back in the States this year or next?

25 June, 2009 16:35  

Post a Comment

<< Home